Our Parish Store is open in front of the Church on the second and fourth Sunday of the month (with a few exceptions). At the Parish Store, we sell fundraising gift cards (scrip) and religious articles. Here is a sample of some of the things in stock in the Parish Store:
- Baptism items and gifts
- Drinking mugs
- First Communion items and gifts (in season)
- Holy water bottles
- Medals and chains
- Religious Books for adults and children
- Prayer cards
- Special occasion cards
- Small statues
- Rosaries and rosary cases
Fundraising gift cards (Scrip)
Scrip is a fundraiser for Our Lady of the Rosary Church. It is a fundraiser at thousands of churches, schools, and other non-profit organizations around the country. There are two types of scrip programs in which Our Lady of the Rosary Church participates: Traditional Scrip and Electronic Scrip.
Scrip has been a program where non-profit organizations have raised funds by selling gift cards for various merchants. These fundraising gift cards are available for grocery stores, book stores, department stores, oil companies, specialty stores and restaurants. Non profit organizations can buy these gift cards at a discount. When a non profit sells the gift cards to its members at full value, it realizes fundraising income at no additional cost to the buyer. The gift cards are spent at participating merchants just like cash. Here’s an example of how it works:
- Our church buys $100.00 of gift cards from ABC market, paying only $95.00 for them.
- You buy $100.00 of gift cards for ABC market from us, paying us $100.00. Our church just made a $5.00 “profit,” at no additional expense to you!
- You buy your groceries, and use the gift cards to pay at the checkstand. The checker accepts them as cash. If you do not use all of the value of a gift card, the remaining value can be spent on your next shopping trip.
The profit we make ranges from 2% (most stores are somewhere near 5%) up to 18% (typical for many restaurants)
Why would companies do this? Some reasons are to support non-profits in the community, lessen the number of checks they process (one big check from us instead of a number of smaller checks from all of you), and to foster store loyalty (people that use gift cards tend to shop and the same stores more often).
How can you use fundraising gift cards? They can be used in the following ways:
- To pay for purchases at grocery stores, discount stores, drug stores, department stores, gas stations and more
- To give to friends and relatives as gifts (a good idea, as you can let the recipient choose the size and color — most companies accept gift cards at all of their outlets nationwide, so they can be sent to far-away friends and relatives).
How can you pay for these gift cards? We accept cash, checks, VISA and MasterCard, and many ATM check cards. Use your credit card, and not only raise money for us, but also possibly earn points for yourself such as frequent flyer miles, free gasoline or credit towards your next car.
When and where do we sell gift cards? They are sold at the following locations and times:
- In front of the Church after all Masses on the SECOND and FOURTH Sunday of the month (including the preceding Saturday). On the second Sunday of the month, they are sold at our monthly Coffee and Donut Fellowship.
- At the Parish Office during office hours: Tuesday – Friday, 11:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., and 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
In addition to offering non profits gift cards at a discount, Safeway also participates in the eScrip electronic scrip program. With eScrip, when you use your eScrip-registered Safeway Club Card at checkout and do not use gift cards or credit cards as payment, we will receive a percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you. The percentage we receive depends on the amount you spend at Safeway in a particular month. To maximize the benefits of this program, please be sure to do the following:
- Register every Safeway Club Card in your entire family for the eScrip program.
- Renew your participation in this program every year during the open enrollment period, which is during the month of October.
You can do the above things by visiting www.escrip.com. Remember to choose Our Lady of the Rosary Church, ID 0136952612, as the beneficiary organization.
For more information on this program, see the parishioners who are selling gift cards in front of the Church on the second and fourth Sundays of the month.
Memorial Programs at Our Lady of the Rosary are overseen by the Development Committee. The current Memorial Program at OLR is called “Our Family Tree.”
Our Family Tree is a wall sculpture in the form of a tree, in the main vestibule of the Church. The tree has 100 metal “leaves” in three colors: gold, silver, and bronze. Leaves may be “purchased” by making a donation to the church. The donation may be made all at once, or made in monthly payments over a three-year period.
- Bronze Leaf: $300.00 ($10.00 per month)
- Silver Leaf: $600.00 ($15.00 per month)
- Gold Leaf: $900.00 ($25.00 per month).
All of the leaves are the same size, regardless of color. The person “purchasing” a leaf may have it inscribed to remember a loved one who has passed, to give recognition to a special occasion, or to honor someone who is living.
Once a person fills out a registration form for this program and makes a commitment, a leaf is inscribed and placed on the tree immediately, even if the monthly payment plan is elected. Once a leaf is paid in full, it will remain on the tree forever.
The purpose of this program is to raise funds to further the renovation of our church and other parish buildings and grounds.
Other levels of giving are also part of this program. Larger donations may be made to secure an acorn on the tree, a small tree, or a rock at the bottom of the tree. Please contact us if you are interested in one of these other levels.
We are also open to your suggestions concerning other ways you might want to make a donation in someone’s memory or honor. Please contact us — we will be glad to meet with you.